Wednesday 9 April 2014

'Shock and awe' or dare we say fashion?

Too thin? Blogger Shannon Bradley-Colleary was shocked to see this model in a Saint Laurent Paris campaign (pictured) and has petitioned the label's CEO, Francesca Bellettini, to stop using 'malnourished' models 
Saint Laurent Paris advertising campaign | March Vanity Fair  
Image source | Mail Online 

This image shocked me to say the least. Yes we all know fashion models are thin, but is this for a truly justifiable reason? I've always seen them as (beautiful) coat hangers that present us with amazing designs both on the catwalk and on the pages of our favourite monthly glossy. But what is too thin? Dare we even ask this question for fear of being perceived as judgemental? I myself am what society might call a curvy size 12. Yes I have been slimmer; back when I was eighteen and hard living hadn't truly hit me. I'm always saying I want to lose weight, thinking this will make me happy, but will it? In the short term I think it will. Cramming healthy eating and exercise into my daily routine seems like the way forward, but even then the pounds don't just magically drop off (even if I want them to). We may say the model in this image is 'anorexic' she certainly doesn't look very healthy. But some individuals say they are naturally slim, I'm guessing this comes down to genetics. They see themselves as lean, athletic and that's fine but I'm not sure this can be said of the girl in this image.
Should we be flaunting these ultra skinny women all over the pages of fashion magazines, we may not know but they do have a subconscious effect on us and if us, what are they doing for the confidence and self-esteem of a younger generation. Shouldn't we be saying 'hey, if your happy and healthy that's all that matters.' On another note becoming 'body confident' is something that comes with age. I'm not sure I'm at that time in my life yet - ask me in 10 years time. Images like this seem to surface every couple of years and I'm sure they will continue to and be debated over again and again. I would like to think things may change but I'm not sure they will. I think it could be for 'shock and awe' or even dare we say 'fashion'....at its most extreme!
So is putting luxury garments on models that may be perceived as 'Anorexic' fashion? Is it even morally right? I will leave those questions in your hands.


Others debate the issue at the Mail Online here.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Faye Elizabeth Fashion Journal. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig