Monday 10 July 2017

29 year old graduate



This week, I graduate! Four years of university and six years of study behind me - my whole career ahead of me. I'm not certain how I feel right now nervous, excited, nostalgic but I have to say it's all rather unnerving. 
I know I'm 29 (much older than most graduates) and should be ready for full time work and in most ways I am. I'm ready for routine, a stimulating, exciting career and I'm definitely ready for a full time wage - but the idea of life post uni is daunting. Going from student to employee is a big life change, there's a whole lot of responsibility on my shoulders and university life hasn't really prepared me for this. Note to professors - prepare students for adult life, maybe adulting could become a new module? 

I worked hard for my degree and will be graduating with a 2:1. This is something I'm proud of but on the other hand I' am somewhat disappointed I'm not finishing with a 1st. I know that its ridiculous to feel a little disheartened as when I think about it an upper 2nd class degree is pretty bloody great. Why do we always put so much pressure on ourselves? Why do we constantly compare ourselves to others? Why does others successes impact our own? These have been some of the questions that have been swirling round my head over the last few weeks.

The last 6 months of my life have been tough probably the toughest of my entire life and I'm happy I managed to graduate at all. 
My beautiful mother died of Cancer in January and my world fell apart. In that time my degree felt pointless and small, how could a degree mean anything anymore if my Mum was no longer in my life. Somehow I managed to carry on, this was mainly done for my Mum, she was very proud of my study and letting her down was something I could never do. My future life also needed my degree. Yes, rent, food and bills don't come for free. 
By my last assignment I really had lost enthusiasm and this is what ultimately let my grade down. Writing a 6000 word project, whilst searching for a job is not an easy task.
On my last day in university I felt incredibly sad and nostalgic. I really have loved my time at university and I will remember it fondly. University has changed me, mostly for the best. I've learnt a lot about who I am and what I want from life and most of all how much I love to study, research and write. I love it mainly for turning my dream (yes, it's a little cringe but the thesaurus offered no alternative) into a reality. I'm sure I've got a long way to go in my career but I think I'm ready for the journey, ups and downs and all.
Something that always made me doubt returning to study was the thought of leaving university without a job. I knew I would be nearly thirty years of age and needed to start my career ASAP! This thought has constantly driven me throughout the last few years and I'm happy to know I am graduating with a job I wanted and love. I understand it's not always that easy; the job market is competitive and gaining industry experience is what possibly sealed my current role. 

My advice to anyone who is thinking about going to university or returning to study - without a doubt you have to go for it, no matter what age or stage of your life you are at you should seek the career or job you love. I know there's barriers that can get in the way, family commitments or money but we spend the majority of our adult lives at work and if you're not enjoying what you're doing, it makes those Sunday night blues even worse. Plus this year I've learnt that life's too short to not make yourself happy.

Ph Credit - The Red List 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Faye Elizabeth Fashion Journal. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig